Welcome!!

The Sun was shinning, the birds were singing, somewhere in the distance a dog barked.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Knowledge from the Asian Perspective

Strapped down to the chair, with no source of happiness and no outlet for relaxation, I was forced to read my math textbook. Beads of sweat trickeled down my red and bloodshot cheeks as I tried my best to focus. Diffrential equations, logarithimic functions, integrals, and random gibberish was flying out of the pages. Bam! Pi was thrown in my face by Archimidies (yummmy cherry pie), I was tangent to the stick that my Mother was beating me with. Standing aside was my Mother, staring at me with a deep glare and grimace. In one hand she held the abacus in the other was a pair of chopsticks. For lunch rice was the only thing on the menu. For personal inspiration the story of Pythagorous was told to me for the millionth time. Well folks, if you do plan on calling the children's help line or calling social workers, I can assure you I do not live this life. I was living the "typical" Asian life. Contrary to common stereotypes, Asian parents don't really beat their kids or force them to do math. They're not all really into getting their kids writing the SATs or going to UPenn or Harvard or the Ivy leagues. Math contests aren't really a big deal, grades aren't really either. Asian parents really just stress this idea of knowledge. From personal experiences, Asian parents aren't really mythical or a rare breed of parents they're simply human. In reality they really stress that knowledge is the key to success. If you look at the job market, what really defines your skills is really just what you know and how you can apply them into your work. A Harvard PhD is a piece of paper that anyone could print off and just wave it around and be pretentious and all arrogant about, but the true meaning of that degree is the symbol that it signifies. With such a degree you have a great amount of knowledge(I'm not saying I want to go to Harvard but the same goes with any PhD from any school). So if you're wondering why I'm rambling about something so random to give you context, here's a quote from Kurt Vonnegut:

"New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. The more truth we have to work with, the richer we become."

Well I have to do my math homework right now(and no my parents aren't forcing me to do it, my math teacher is......)

Signing off:
The "Sun"ny Side of Slaughter House 5

1 comment: